Friday, March 18, 2011

The Other Hand - Pt. 1

In the English class a few weeks ago we got an assignment to choose a novel to read in class. I chose to read "The other hand" by the British author Chris Cleave.

In this novel we get to know the Nigerian girl called Little Bee and a British magazine editor named Sarah. Little Bee is an asylum seeker and while being in the immigration detention centre she learns to speak fluent English. She has figured out that if you want to survive in England you must either be really good looking or speak like the Queen of England.
Sarah is a British woman who is married to a man named Andrew and together they have a son.

When Little Bee finally is released from the immigration detention centre, she calls Andrew to find him. After that call Andrew commits suicide, and Sarah is left alone with their son. Then Little Bee comes knocking on their door.

This is all I have read from the book so far, but I like it already and sometimes the novel is quite funny written, so I catch myself laughing sometimes when reading. I am looking forward to reading the rest and hope that will be as good as the reviews I have heard.

Shirin

2 comments:

  1. I like that it makes you laugh when you are reading. It is always great to read a book that makes you laugh. I have heard a lot about the book too, but I have never read it. Look forward to reading more about how you like it as you progress in your reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written post Shirin! I havn't heard of the book either, but from what I just read it sounded very fascinating. Immigration is an interesting topic, and the combination of that, humor and excitment must make this the ideal book!

    ReplyDelete